After shifting to California, I discovered myself leaping into summer time produce sooner than I might have within the midwest. The starting of June brings zucchini adopted shortly by candy corn and tomatoes. However, there’s a lot good spring/early summer time produce that I miss as a result of let’s face it- I’d make the whole lot out of contemporary summer time tomatoes and candy corn if I may. This soba noodle salad options two substances I typically miss due to my pleasure: kohlrabi and cabbage.
The stunning shade of the cabbage and the crunch from the kohlrabi is a splendid addition to a chilly noodle salad. The produce holds an ideal crisp, even after being dressed. Pack this salad for a straightforward work lunch or toss it within the cooler for a summer time street journey. Don’t have kohlrabi? Just add an additional handful of cabbage.
On a separate note- my e-newsletter is again up and working! Every different week I’ll be sharing a brand new subscriber solely recipe primarily based in your ideas! You can check out yesterday’s recipe and call for suggestions– simply you’ll want to subscribe to get the following recipe!
Cold Soba Noodle Salad with Cabbage and Kohlrabi
- half of pound purple and Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 1/three pound kohlrabi, about 1 medium one
- 2 scallions, about 1/four cup sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- three tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 to three teaspoons contemporary minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 6 ounces soba noodles
- Salt, if wanted
- Shred cabbage, eradicating the core as wanted. Peel the skin of the kohlrabi and reduce into skinny, matchstick-sized cuts. Finally, prep the scallions by reducing, about ⅛” thick, on the bias. Add the whole lot to a bowl and put aside.
- In a small jar with lid, mix the sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, and sesame seeds. Shake vigorously till mixed. Pour over the cabbage and therapeutic massage within the dressing. Let sit whilst you prepare dinner the noodles.
- Cook the noodles in response to the package deal. Drain, rinse, and toss with a teaspoon or so of sesame oil. Add to the bowl with cabbage and toss till the whole lot is effectively mixed. Taste and add salt as wanted. Top with additional scallions, sesame seeds, and cilantro as desired.
by Erin Alderson
Tips & Tricks:
You can use a vegetable peeler or sharp knife to peel the skin of the kohlrabi.
This salad sits effectively because the cabbage and kohlrabi don’t lose their crunch. I wish to make this salad a number of hours forward of time to let the flavors mix.
Nutrition: see the information.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 238 Calories from fats|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat eight.four||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.four||10%|
Percent Daily Values are primarily based on a 2,000 calorie weight-reduction plan. Your each day values could also be larger or decrease relying in your calorie wants:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Soba Noodle Salad
With summer time temperatures staying over 100˚F in Sacramento, I’m at all times prepping extra low to no-cook meals. This soba noodle salad is the proper recipe that’s nice for lunch or travels effectively for a strong picnic addition.
Gluten-Free: Soba noodles are made with buckwheat flour however most instances, there’s wheat flour is added in as effectively. Look for 100% buckwheat flour soba noodles or use brown rice glass noodles (like Annie Chun’s).
Greens: When I purchase cabbage, I like to purchase smaller heads of various varieties. However, this isn’t at all times an choice. I’ve additionally used kale, kohlrabi greens, or chard with or instead of the cabbage.
Miso: I like so as to add a pair teaspoons of miso to the dressing. This helps add just a little additional depth to the general soba noodle salad.
Kohlrabi: I’m not at all times capable of finding kohlrabi nevertheless, thinly sliced turnips and even broccoli stalks (simply be certain that to peel the outer layer earlier than slicing!)