My first expertise with turnips didn’t come till I joined the CSA. In truth, it was my first day on the farm and I used to be despatched residence with beautiful Hakurei turnips. Of course, these have been just one number of turnips however over time, I’ve experimented with most. Each turnip has a stunning, pretty mellow taste that’s excellent grilled, roasted, or added to a stir-fry. This bean bake makes use of your complete turnip (in the event you’re fortunate sufficient to discover a bunch!) The greens are barely wilted and mixed with my favourite giant white beans then topped with thinly shaved turnips. This bake is hearty sufficient for a dinner- particularly in the event you serve it with a slice of crusty bread.
Bean Bake with Greens and Turnips
An straightforward and exquisite bean bake that includes the buttery corona beans tossed with turnip or kale greens and topped with sliced turnips.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups packed kale or turnip greens
- 2 cups cooked Corona beans (cannellini additionally work)
- 2 cups crushed tomato
- 1 teaspoon contemporary minced rosemary
- 1/four teaspoons salt
- 1/four teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium purple prime turnips, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Heat a medium, oven-safe skillet or forged iron pan over medium-low warmth. Add the olive oil to the pan, adopted by the garlic. Cook the garlic till aromatic and golden; 1 to 2 minutes. Stir within the greens, flip the warmth to low, and cook dinner till the greens simply begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir the beans, crushed tomatoes, rosemary, salt, and pepper into the greens combination. Create a layer of the thinly sliced turnips on prime. Place within the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, till the tomato sauce is effervescent and the turnips are tender.
by Erin Alderson
Tips & Tricks: The turnips nonetheless have a little bit of texture to them. If you’re searching for utterly tender turnips, I like to recommend slicing then steaming for a minute or two- simply to take the crispness from the turnip.
Nutrition: see the information.
Beans: I actually love the large corona beans however they aren’t out there in each retailer. I prefer to order beans from Rancho Gordo however Cannelini or one other giant bean would additionally work.
Zucchini: For the highest of this bean bake, you may thinly shave zucchini or summer season squash to prime the bake.
Cheese: Stir in feta to the tomato sauce or I prefer to deal with this bake a bit like lasagna. Save some tomato sauce then layer the highest with the turnips adopted by the sauce and a sprinkle of mozzarella or comparable melting cheese.
Turnips are one of many greens that’s straightforward to disregard however shouldn’t. They have what I discover to be the proper stability of butteriness and earthiness (in comparison with different roots which are all earthy taste). They are nice roasted, grilled, and could be thrown into stir fries. I feel one of the best a part of turnips, nevertheless, are the greens. They aren’t over-powering and can be utilized as you’ll chard, kale, or beet greens.