I’ll begin out saying I’m a bit hesitant to name this ragu given there’s no meat and it’s not served on pasta. And but, right here I’m, calling it lentil ragu primarily as a result of it’s the closest factor to explain this cumbersome sauce. Traditional ragu is made utilizing stewed meats however do a fast search and you will notice that most individuals use lentils for a strong vegetarian substitute. I took this and went one step extra by including bulgur.
My favourite vegetarian chili makes use of bulgur. It’s an ideal strategy to bulk up a meal with a meat-like substitute. Is it the identical as a standard ragu? Not even shut. And but, it’s scrumptious in it’s personal method. The purple lentils breakdown to type a thick sauce base and the bulgur is absolutely the star. Don’t plan on utilizing different lentils- the break up purple lentils work greatest.
Bulgur Lentil Ragu with Parsnip-Rutabaga Mash
A hearty vegetarian primary that includes tomato-based bulgur/lentil sauce smothering a mash of parsnips and rutabagas.
- 1 pound rutabaga
- 1 pound parsnips
- three tablespoons butter
- 1/four cup half and half
- Salt, as wanted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- half medium yellow onion, minced (180g)
- 1 giant carrot, minced (120g)
- 1 celery stalk, minced (50g)
- half cup purple lentils
- 1/three cup purple wine
- three cups water, divided
- 1, 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced contemporary rosemary
- 1/four cup minced contemporary flat-leaf parsley
- 1 half cups cooked bulgur
- 1 tablespoon miso
- Parsley, for serving
- Heat a big tall-sided skillet over medium warmth. Add the olive oil adopted by the minced onion, carrot, and celery. Cook till all are tender, 10 minutes or so. Add the purple wine, scraping the underside of the pan as wanted. Stir within the purple lentils adopted by the water. Bring to a boil, cut back to a simmer, and cook dinner till the lentils are tender, 22 to 25 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, deliver a big pot of salty water to a boil. Peel the rutabaga and parsnips, minimize into 1” cubes, and add to the water. Cook till the greens are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, return the greens to the pot, mash the greens, and add the butter, half/half, and extra salt if wanted.
- Once the lentils are cooked, measure within the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary, parsley, and bulgur. Cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes to let the flavors mingle. When achieved, stir within the miso. Taste and modify the seasonings or add a splash or two of water if wanted.
- Divide the parsnip mash into 4 bowls and prime with the lentil ragu. Sprinkle with parsley earlier than serving if desired.
by Erin Alderson
Tips & Tricks: The bulgur and the sauce might be made forward of time then reheated collectively earlier than serving.
Nutrition: see the information.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 390 Calories from fats|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 14.eight||23%|
|Saturated Fat 7.2||36%|
|Dietary Fiber 13.2||53%|
Percent Daily Values are based mostly on a 2,000 calorie weight loss plan. Your every day values could also be greater or decrease relying in your calorie wants:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
One of the explanations I really like this recipe is as a result of it’s simple to swap a couple of elements to make it vegan and/or gluten-free. You can at all times change up the bottom in the event you’re not sure of the parsnip/rutabagas.
Vegetables: Use mashed candy potatoes, butternut squash, potatoes, or turnips for the bottom. Mix and match as you see match.
Vegan: Drop the butter/dairy from the parsnip mash and use your favourite vegan dairy merchandise or add a splash of almond milk.
Gluten-free: Swap out the bulgur for metal minimize oats. It’s not fairly the identical consistency however the texture is analogous sufficient.